How to choose a subject for your book
To give you some inspiration, here are the top-level nonfiction genres on Amazon.com. (The figures in brackets denote the number of titles in each genre at the time of publication).
Each top-level genre has a series of sub-genres, which, in turn, may have sub-genres of their own.
For example the top-level category Art, Architecture & Photography has sub-categories like painting and drawing, print and decorative arts, and sculpture.
Author tip:The fewer the number of books in an Amazon sub-genre, the easier it is to get a bestselling title n that category, providing there is sufficient reader interest to generate sales. If you are aiming to get bestseller status it makes sense to choose a less competitive niche).
- Art, Architecture & Photography (612,778)
- Painting & Drawing (105,557
- Print & Decorative Arts (27,765
- Sculpture (11,221)
- Biography (611,063)
- Business, Finance & Law (2,016,618)
- Calendars, Diaries & Annuals (593,346)
- Computing & Internet (445,843)
- Education Studies & Teaching (382,227)
- Food & Drink (213,689)
- Health, Family & Lifestyle (1,238,580)
- History (3,718,920)
- Home & Garden (382,111)
- Languages (433,318)
- Mind, Body & Spirit (549,203)
- Music, Stage & Screen (724,736)
- Poetry, Drama & Criticism (795,812)
- Reference (1,513,389)
- Religion & Spirituality (1,167,885)
- Science & Nature (2,288,989)
- Scientific, Technical & Medical (927,225)
- Society, Politics & Philosophy (2,527,671)
- Sports, Hobbies & Games (310,472)
- Travel & Holiday (404,797)
Which of these genres are good matches for your knowledge and experience?